Memorial Day Safety Tips
Memorial Day Safety Tips
On Memorial Day, families and friends get together to remember those who have died serving in our armed forces.
The holiday also ushers in Summer — our nation’s peak grilling & swimming season.
Here is a look at some Memorial Day facts & figures along with safety tips around the grill and pool all summer.
Memorial Day BBQ Stats By the Numbers
Hot dogs consumed per second on Memorial Day
Total hot dogs eaten on Memorial Day
Grill fires occur annually
of those fires are from gas grills
of those fires are from charcoal grills
in personal property lost annually due to grill fires
- Only use propane and charcoal grills outside.
- Place grills a safe distance (10ft +) from the home, deck railings and branches.
- Never leave a grill in use unattended.
- Keep pets and kids away from cooking area.
- Don’t add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
- Check gas tank hoses on a propane grill for leaks before using it the first time each year.
- Remove grease/fat buildup from the grill & trays below.
- Open the gas grill lid before lighting it.
- Cool coals from a charcoal grill completely before disposing in a metal container.
BEFORE YOU DIVE INTO YOUR MEMORIAL DAY
- Never leave small children unsupervised around the pool.
- Remove any pool toys when not in use that might attract a child.
- Be sure all pool users know how to swim and understand pool rules.
- Don’t let anyone who has been drinking use the pool.
- Be sure your swimming pool is up to code & has the required safety features installed such as a fence, lock, cover and/or alarm.
- If you recently had a swimming pool built or installed, make sure your homeowners insurance provider has been notified and that you have the proper insurance coverage.
- Make certain all liability issues have been addressed to protect your home, family and all your assets.
- Remember, that as the property owner you are responsible for what happens on your property even if your pool isn’t the focal point of your party.
Take any necessary safety precautions to prevent pool accidents from happening on Memorial Day and every day so you can enjoy a cool summer!
You can always speak to a local Kinghorn Insurance agent to learn more about insurance coverage options, or talk about your other insurance coverage needs.
If you would like a free, no obligation South Carolina insurance quote, there are many ways to obtain one! Fill out our online quote form, call us, or stop by one of our offices.
Our Bluffton office is located between Bluffton and Hilton Head across from the Moss Creek Center at: 1544 Fording Island Rd, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926, or just click on the map to get directions.
Our Hilton Head office is located in Shelter Cove at: 23-D Shelter Cove Lane, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928, or just click on the map to get directions.
- You cannot bind, alter, cancel or change coverage by email or by leaving voicemail.
- You must speak with an authorized representative of Kinghorn Insurance
- In case of an Emergency, please dial 911.